Next to the COMMON COLD, digestive problems are the most COMMON reason people seek medical advice. In fact, two out of every three people have had a digestive problem in the past three months. Are YOU one of them?
Routine health checks include monitoring temperature, pulse and blood pressure, as well as examining blood and urine specimens. While helpful, these tests overlook the gastrointestinal system, an area that can deliver crucial information about whether your body is functioning properly. The comprehensive testing that’s available today provides detailed information about whether your gut operates effectively to deliver the nutrients you need to thrive. Regular examination of stool samples provides an even more comprehensive picture of your health.
The cellular function of every organ in your body is dependent on nourishing substances obtained through digestion. Before discomfort or disease develops, it is possible to determine whether food breaks down into usable substances, whether you absorb certain nutrients, and whether you properly eliminate waste. A healthy body also has beneficial bacteria to counteract the impact of “bad” bacteria, and produces and secretes enzymes, hormones and digestive chemicals.
Food allergies, toxins, sugar, antibiotics, parasites and stress can wreak havoc with your gastrointestinal system, upsetting the balance in your intestine as well as allowing harmful substances to enter the system. Gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation or abdominal discomfort may be the first clue that something is wrong with the digestive tract, but did you know allergies or simple lack of energy and fatigue can often be traced to digestive problems as well?
Chronic vaginal infections may result from similar flora imbalances as in the intestine. Laboratory examination of vaginal secretions can help you to identify the exact cause of chronic itching, discomfort, or discharge, and establish a treatment program to get you back on track.
Take a look at What’s Inside Genova Diagnostics has tests that reveal important clinical information about:
- Mal digestion and the cause of systems such as gas and bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation
- Chronic dysbiosis (altered bacterial balance) and inflammation that can impair absorption, leading to deficiencies of nutrients, proteins, carbohydrates and fats
- Lactose intolerance and its relationship to gas, bloating, cramping, and diarrhea
- Excess bacterial enzyme activity in the intestine that can promote hormonal imbalances and gastrointestinal irritation
- Short chain fatty acid inadequacy linked to increased incidence of colon cancer and ulcerative
- Bacterial and yeast overgrowth underlying gastrointestinal symptoms, chronic fatigue, mood shifts and weakened immune function
- Chronic digestive dysfunction that can set the stage for the development of leaky gut, food allergies, toxic stress and systemic autoimmune reactions
- increased toxic burden, small bowel bacteria over growth and severe inflammation
- The presence of parasites
Gastrointestinal testing can provide information that gives you and your health practitioner a better picture of your overall health. Ask Susan about the insights you could gain from digestive analysis. One of these Genova tests may be right for you:
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0
- Candida Intensive Culture
- Comprehensive Parasitology Profile
- Candida Antibodies & Immune Complexes
- Lactose Intolerance Breath Test
- Bacterial Overgrowth of the Small Intestine Breath Test
- Vaginosis Profile
Ask yourself these simple questions to see if gastrointestinal testing may be right for you:
- Do you frequently experience indigestion?
- Do you suffer from constipation?
- Do you often have unexplained diarrhea?
- Do you experience gas and bloating?
- Do you ever have abdominal pain?
- Do you suffer from fatigue?
- Do you consistently lack energy?
- Do you have poor skin or suffer from chronic skin conditions?
- Have you used antibiotics on occasion?
Digestive problems contribute to the following disorders:
- Irritable bowl syndrome
- Gastroesophageal reflux (heartburn)
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Autoimmune disease
Take Charge of Your Health
If you are struggling with depression, anxiety & panic disorder or other mood disorders, call 805.987.7222 for an appointment. This could be your first step toward a happier and healthier tomorrow!